Today in History
On April 28, 1927, 25 local men signed Articles of Incorporation for Howell Township Fire Company #1 (Adelphia Fire Company). For 90 years the Adelphia Fire Company has served the community of Howell Township and surrounding towns of Monmouth County. Today, the fire company averages over 300 calls for service annually and maintains a roster of over 50 active volunteer firefighters.
Since Charles H.T. Clayton, the fire company’s first president, there have only been four other fire company presidents. Maris Galbliks, Adelphia’s current president, has held the position for 17 years and was previously the fire chief, 1998 to 1999. The have been 60 fire chiefs to date; each chief has typically held 1 to 2 year terms. The current chief, Michael Banasz, was elected as a line officer in 2008 and elected to chief in 2016.
The fire company maintains its headquarters on Adelphia Road (Route 524) and a substation on Route 33. In 1927, the Clayton Funeral Home donated the first apparatus that carried water in milk cans, shovels, brooms, and lanterns. Today, the company maintains a fleet of 11 active apparatus and 1 antique, a 1942 American LaFrance pumper.
The members of the Adelphia Fire Company are proud to be celebrating 90 years of service, and look forward to providing volunteer service to Howell Township for many years to come. A celebration will be take place on Saturday, June 3rd – please join us!